The Claude McKay Scholarship Award – 2020
Offered by the Jamaican Association of Maryland, Inc. (JAM)
Scholarship Application Criteria
- The applicant must be of JAMAICAN heritage and a resident of the state of Maryland
- The applicant must be currently enrolled in an accredited educational institution with eligibility for high school graduation or currently attending college.
- The applicant must submit proof of acceptance to a post-secondary school, including a copy of the enrollment contract, prior to receipt of an award.
- The applicant must have a minimum scholastic average of a “C” for high school or a “2.5” GPA for college, and submit proof of this academic achievement.
- The applicant must submit an essay of one hundred (100) words or less explaining:
- The reasons for applying for the Claude McKay Scholarship,
- The benefits that would be derived from it,
- The reasons why the applicant is deserving of the scholarship
- The applicant must submit two (2) letters of recommendation written by:
- Community (examples: Minister, Employer, etc.).
- These letters must be submitted with the application and include:
How long the applicant has known the writer.
The relationship between the applicant and the writer.
- The application must be received no later than May 1, 2020.
- Preliminary screening will be performed by the Jamaican Association of Maryland Scholarship Committee. Selected finalists will be reviewed by the Committee and the ultimate final applicants will be recommended to the Jamaican Association of Maryland Board of Directors. The recipient(s) will then be determined by the Board, and, in the case of more than one recipient, the scholarship will be divided appropriately.
- The applicant’s academic status will be required to be submitted to the Scholarship Committee at the end of each semester.
- The applicant is expected to give 2 hours of volunteer service during his/her summer recess.
- The scholarship recipient must be present at the annual Jamaican Association of Maryland Anniversary and Scholarship Awards Banquet, in order to accept the scholarship.